What this policy covers:
This policy covers our treatment of the personal information we collect from you once we enter into making funeral arrangements with you. This includes the Pre-Arrangement Form on our website and any comments made on our website.
Why we collect personal information:
The personal information, which we collect, is needed to:
(1) Identify the purchasers and beneficiaries of pre-arranging and at-the-time-of-need arrangements;
(2) Provide our services;
(3) Comply with legislative and regulatory requirements.
How personal information is used:
(1) We do not sell, barter, trade or give away the personal information you have provided to us.
(2) We will only share your information with third parties if we are required to by law or you have either expressly authorised us to, or, if it is required for the provision to you of a service or product supplied by another business or organisation as part of our services to you. (Example; clergy and cemetery records)
(3) We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Access to your personal information:
(1) You may ask for access to any personal information we hold about you and you may ask that the information be corrected or updated. However, we reserve the right to confirm the identity of the person seeking access to personal information before complying with any access request.
(2) If we are unable to provide you with access to all of the personal information we have about you, then the reasons for the denial of access will be provided to you.
We ask everyone who enters into a contract with us to initial the following:
The Purchaser acknowledges that in the course of the Funeral Home carrying out the terms of this contract, “personal information”, as that term is defined in the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act will be provided by the Purchaser to the Funeral Home. The Funeral Home agrees to collect, use and disclose such personal information only in accordance with applicable law. The personal information provided to the Funeral Home is used only for the Funeral Home's internal purposes and is not distributed to third parties for any other commercial purpose, except as required to carry out the terms of this contract. The Funeral Home shall keep all such information in strict confidence and shall only disclose such information if required by law. The Funeral Home shall only use such information for the purposes set forth herein unless the Purchaser provides the Funeral Home with his/her consent to do otherwise.
The Purchaser authorizes the Funeral Home and/or its agents to release information regarding the Recipient and the Purchaser to assist in obtaining estate benefits, notifications of death of the Recipient, to the cemetery or crematorium selected by the Purchaser, and to any charitable organizations who claim to have received donations in memory of the Recipient. The Purchaser also authorizes the Funeral Home to place the death notice details on the Funeral Home’s website (please circle Yes or No) and Facebook page (please circle Yes or No).
If you wish to ask a question about our collection and use of personal information; access your personal information, withdraw consent previously provided, or make a complaint, please write to us at;
James Reid Funeral Home
1900 John Counter Blvd.
Attention: Privacy Officer
If you are not satisfied with our response, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada may be reached at 112 Kent Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 1H3.